Hi everyone, my name is Emma and I am the Director of Communications at coderGirls!
As a high schooler, I am a victim of one of the most common issues in high schoolers, college students, and basically anyone who participates in anything: procrastination. Procrastination is nearly every student's arch enemy. Almost everyone has to deal with it at one point or another and here are a few steps from www.bigthink.com to break the habit. This article helped me a lot in dealing with my procrastinating and I hope it will help you as well!
1. Put it in writing. Write down the task you’ve been putting off. Doing this brings the project to the front of your mind so you can’t easily ignore it.
2. Name your feelings. Psychologists acknowledge that procrastination is an emotional reaction. One of three core emotions is always driving it. What’s driving yours? Is it fear, that you won’t get the job done well enough and on time, for example? Is it anger, perhaps because you have to do something you hate or resent? Or is it sadness, because you feel inadequate or ill-suited for the task, for instance? Dig down deep to identify the emotions behind why you’re dragging your heels.
3. Release the emotion. Fear, anger, and sadness are just pure sensations in the bodies that get stuck. If they’re not expressed constructively and physically, they build up inside us like a pressure cooker. In a private setting, do exaggerated shivering to get rid of fear; punch a pillow or stomp around to release anger; or watch a movie that makes you cry to get rid of sadness. It may sound silly, but it works.
4. Neutralize destructive thinking. When you think of this task, what negative thought pops into your head? Find an antidote to that thought in the form of a truth that contradicts it. For example, if you think “I’ll never be able to learn all this,” you might say to yourself, “If others can learn this, so can I.”
5. Break it down. You’ve envisioned the task, dealt with what’s been holding you back, and fixed your destructive thinking. Now, break the big job down into a series of little doable steps so you can stay focused on just handling the next little task. Plot out each part of the project, including details such as whom you will talk with and what about, where and when you’ll be working, and how long you expect each step to take. (This will spare you from getting overwhelmed, because each step will be doable.)
6. Praise each little step. Don’t wait until the end of the task to congratulate yourself. Give yourself praise for each small victory, rewarding yourself for each little step completed. Doing this is very motivating, and it also prevents fear of failure from creeping into the process and sabotaging your efforts.
7. Prepare for obstacles. Once you’ve broken the task down into smaller pieces, anticipate roadblocks that could pop up along the way. For example, how will you deal with projects with shorter deadlines that land on your desk? Have a tactic ready for sticking to your original plan.
8. Fight resistance. It’s time to take the leap and tackle the task you’ve been putting off. When you do, you’ll likely meet resistance in the form of excuses, bad moods, and discouragement. Shiver to express the fear. Say to yourself, “I’ll feel better when I handle this.” Repeat it like a mantra until the urge to procrastinate passes.
9. Enjoy the win. Finishing a daunting task is satisfying. Remind yourself that you’ll feel incredibly virtuous when the chore is off your plate once and for all. Accomplishing what you’re avoiding will simplify your work life. You’ll feel more energetic. You’ll sleep better at night. Relish the feeling of success.
Thanks for the great tips! I, too, have suffered from my slowness since childhood. This has its pluses - I get to concentrate on things for a long time, but there are, of course, more minuses. For example, due to proastination, I have never been able to study properly. It's good that there is an essay writing service that always saves me in difficult times.
Great post, I'm sure you're getting a great response
I have been searching to find a comfort or effective procedure to complete this process and I think this is the most suitable way to do it effectively. Halki Diabetes Remedy Review
This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck. Cinderella Solution Review
I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page! Unlock Your Hip Flexors
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. The Knowledge Business Blueprint Review
You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. The Knowledge Business Blueprint
this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. His Secret Obsession
I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. Keto Diet
this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. Numerologist
After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. Free Logo Creator
this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. Obsession Method
When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. Text Chemistry
Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. The Underdog Advantage
Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!! Quill Work Tree Service
You have done a amazing job with you website Mueller Tree Service
I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Around the Bend Tree Service
I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog! Alutech Tree Care
Through this post, I know that your good knowledge in playing with all the pieces was very helpful. I notify that this is the first place where I find issues I've been searching for. You have a clever yet attractive way of writing. Barrett Tree Service
I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog! Port CharlotteGC Tree Care